Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Do you remember our need for camping quilts? I guess camping quilt is a bit of a misnomer since this will be used for camping and the beach and picnics. I really should call it a drag-around-everywhere quilt. I’ve been sorting scraps, cutting strips, and sewing log cabins since July — not continuously, obviously — and I lugged a ton of scraps to the quilt retreat and back. When I left home I had the red, yellow, and orange log cabins done. When I returned home I had finished purple and green. Last week I made a whole bunch of blue blocks and over the weekend I got the whole thing together.

Camping Quilt

The quilt top measures about 68″ x 85″ and has a total of 80 log cabins. After I sorted my scraps by color I trimmed the pieces into squares and strips. Each log cabin has a 3″ square — before sewing — at the center and the strips for the logs are 2″ wide before sewing. I had two rules while making the blocks: 1. do not repeat a fabric in any given block, and 2. just use the next strip you grab from the pile, no editing. I cannot tell you how many times I pulled a strip to add to a block and thought yuck! but sewed it on anyway. Sometimes the yuck ones turned out to be favorites, sometimes they were just fine, none were so bad I had to rip them apart. I also made all the log cabin blocks I could from each scrap pile so I had some variety to choose from when laying out the quilt. That also means that there is a sizable stack of pre-made log cabin blocks just waiting to be used. I already have ideas for 3 more camping quilts so I know they’ll be coming in handy.

Love This SO Much

One of my favorite parts of this quilt is finding the fabrics from any number of projects. There are lots of Virtual Quilting Bee fabrics in there, most of Katie’s dresses, baby quilts for friends, bed quilts my mom made, pillows, bags, backpacks. It just makes me so happy to see all that in there. I just love the whole thing so much it’s going to be hard to take it camping. But seriously, when we do we just might have the best bedding in the campground.

About these ads

19 Responses to “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”

1. 1 Jennifer November 16, 2009 at 4:41 pm

It’s breathtaking. And once you take it camping the first time, you won’t be able to imagine outside adventures without it, I bet. Well done.

2. 2 Amy November 16, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Oh my gosh. How gorgeous! I’m impressed with how you stuck with it.

3. 3 Louise November 16, 2009 at 6:01 pm

It’s beautiful, and I’m sure it will be one of those parts of their childhood that your children remember when they’re all grown up. Are you going to quilt it yourself, or do you know a good long-arm quilter in the area? Cause I’d like to hear about them if you do!

4. 4 jessica November 16, 2009 at 6:17 pm

That quilt is stunning!!!!

5. 6 deb November 16, 2009 at 8:17 pm

That is so lovely. You just can’t have too many log cabin quilts can you!

6. 7 erin November 17, 2009 at 9:05 am

it’s perfect.
    and i am feeling so bad i never sent you scraps….

7. 8 Tara November 17, 2009 at 10:01 am

It turned out great! What are you going to use for backing?

8. 10 emily November 17, 2009 at 10:04 pm

there is no question you will have the best bedding in the campground. i’m pretty sure you have the best bedding in the state! ps – l. wore 6 hairbands in her ponytail today – red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. i thought of you.

9. 11 amy November 17, 2009 at 11:47 pm

it really it gorgeous… i would be so paranoid about getting it filthy while camping :D but the best quilts are used and loved quilts… not “put away in a cupboard for special occasions” quilts… it’s amazing how scrap quilts can sometimes be the least inspiring to get started on, yet have the prettiest results in the final quilt… i wish i could get more inspired to use my scraps… can’t wait to see it quilted and finished!!!

10. 12 amy November 17, 2009 at 11:49 pm

p.s- i think you can quite officially call yourself a “quilter” now :D you have definitely been bitten by the bug

11. 13 amandajean November 18, 2009 at 6:36 pm

WOW!!! i LOVE it!!! the photos make the quilt look small, but having seen the blocks in person, i know better. i hope you are patting yourself on the back. that is one GORGEOUS scrap quilt!!!! i admire you sticking to your rules. not an easy task, i’m sure. scrap quilts are the BEST!!! now i think i NEED to start a rainbow log cabin quilt…..

12. 14 darlene November 18, 2009 at 11:47 pm

it is postively beautiful, so nice that you will be able to drag the rainbow around everywhere you go!

13. 15 Wendy November 19, 2009 at 12:47 pm

This is the prettiest quilt I’ve seen in a long time – Love it!
    Thanks for the inspiration -

14. 16 Liz November 23, 2009 at 10:00 pm

It’s beautiful! It just makes me feel happy.

15. 17 Grace November 27, 2009 at 7:54 pm

You will most definitely have the best bedding in the campground. I am quite envious.

Also, I wish there were a better solution to the uncomfortable air mattresses that deflate too quickly. Because that is seriously what keeps me from wanting to camp every weekend for half the year. Well, maybe it’s better this way. ;)

1. 1 Brown, Black, and Grey « mama urchin Trackback on July 16, 2010 at 3:31 pm
  2. 2 Un-Camping « mama urchin Trackback on July 27, 2010 at 8:22 am
Comments are currently closed.

flickr photos