Does anybody….

…know where I can get some natural/ivory colored fishing net to make into bags for mermaid Katrina‘s upcoming underwater birthday party? I’m planning to make the bags from fabric and use the net as an overlay so the hole size isn’t too important.

…know where I can get fun goggles for the party cheap? I want to try to get some of those goggles with eyes shaped like shells or fish or something.

Pillow Top

…have a good source for cotton chenille? I’m looking for some ivory/natural chenille to back my pink and brown quilt squares. All the stores around here have basic striped chenille and I was thinking something more floral in pattern. This is one of those times I have something in my head, now I just need to find it.

…have shopping recommendations while we’re visiting LA over Easter weekend? I might have a little time between the family events we’re going to attend and I wouldn’t mind finding a good Japanese bookstore/everything store. Yarn and fabric store recommendations are always welcome too. We’re staying north-west of downtown in Agoura Hills.

Pillow Top

Thank you in advance for the help I know you’ll give. And thank you also for the well wishes. We found out yesterday that Katrina has strep again and an ear infection. I’m hoping a few doses of the antibiotic will have her feeling better soon. The photos in this post are pillow tops in progress from my bloggy birthday give-away. Once made into pillows these will be going to Kris and Inga. I have plans for both Amy and Capello next.

About these ads

17 Responses to “Does anybody….”

1. 1 Anina March 11, 2008 at 1:30 pm

No idea about any of that, except for Kinokuniya, which is a great Japanese book store and is in downtown Los Angeles. If you scroll to the bottom of the page here: http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/indexohb.cgi?AREA=02, you’ll see the address.
    The pillow covers are turning out very nice.

2. 2 Sarah March 11, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Take a look at these from Oriental Trading Company. I know the link is long but if you copy and paste it into your browser, the goggles will appear. I used to get lots of things for them when I taught Kindergarten. http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=16/632&mode=Searching&erec=4&No=0&D=goggles&Ntt=goggles&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&N=0&Ns=BEST_SELLER%257c1&sd=Child&%238217%3Bs+Sea+Creature+Swim+Goggles

By the way, I LOVE the beauties you create with your hands! What lucky people must their recipients be!

Sarah

3. 3 inga March 11, 2008 at 4:30 pm

I can’t waaaaait!)))

4. 4 Sally March 11, 2008 at 4:35 pm

I would consider using bridal tulle, which comes in ivory at all big stores. The holes are fairly small, but it would give a mermaid-y feel, I think. Have fun, it sounds like a great party!!!

5. 5 erin March 11, 2008 at 7:54 pm

i am no help.
    i do have some of that striped, off-white chenille i am willing to share if you need it. it’s 54″ wide.

6. 6 emily March 11, 2008 at 7:54 pm

i have no help for you on any of that! but plenty of wishes for a speedy recovery all around.

7. 7 Kris March 11, 2008 at 9:35 pm

I can’t wait – they are both so beautiful!!!! You do amazing work – and come up with awesome ideas for the kids,

Kris

8. 8 Jean March 11, 2008 at 11:55 pm

I read your plea for help!!! You might want to check out one of the party stores… the ones that have party theme decorations etc… If they don’t have any I’m sure they could put you onto a place that would. Good luck, sounds like fun.

9. 9 Betty March 12, 2008 at 11:44 am

I love your squares! Nice work.

10. 10 Jacquie March 12, 2008 at 6:36 pm

Oriental trading has fish net too. Comes in white and tan rather than ivory, but it might work for you. Just go to the Oriental trading co. site and search for fish net. Hope this helps.

11. 11 Liz March 12, 2008 at 9:24 pm

For sure, look in Oriental Trader. It is inexpensive, but they get you on the shipping. Also, check the dollar stores – you might find mesh bags there that you could cut apart.

The mermaid costume is wonderful. My son would love it – he loves mermaids. Did you have a pattern?

12. 12 applecyder March 13, 2008 at 10:02 am

I was going to metnion Oriental Trading Co too. Sounds like a fun party.

13. 13 applecyder March 13, 2008 at 10:02 am

I was going to “mention”….

Hate typos!

14. 14 coffeechris March 13, 2008 at 2:49 pm

I got natural fish nets at The Dollar Tree Store – they would be perfect,they also have fish theme items. If you don’t want to spend the bucks – potato, orange, onion (they come in Mermaid colors – purple, orange, red, green) mesh sack – wash nicely and crunched up have the fishing effect – I have a stash if you decide just email me your address (creativechris@msn.com). Target might have goggles and more fish theme items. Craft stores and wall mart have the shells, starfish coral items pretty inexpensive. Can’t wait for the Mermaid Tales.

15. 15 martha March 13, 2008 at 5:27 pm

oh -I hope she is feeling better by now.
    I really love these pillows:)
    xo

16. 16 Angela March 13, 2008 at 10:22 pm

How about just plain ole netting for the fishnet. Cannot get any cheaper! And Oriental Trading Co. has tons of novelty fishy/seashore stuff. http://www.orientaltrading.com/

17. 17 jessica March 14, 2008 at 12:55 am

I’d be happy to tell you where I got the cookies. Would you mind emailing me so I can email you the info.

Comments are currently closed.

flickr photos