Quilt Along, Quilt Behind

It’s been a bit of a joke with Amanda Jean, Anina, and me that instead of quilting along in the quilt-along Amada Jean has been hosting I’ve been quilting behind. Way behind. Like they all finished their quilt tops and I hadn’t started. But I was determined to do it. The flu/strep throat brought with it lots of urchins lying on the sofa watching TV which meant that I could cut all my patchwork pieces at the kitchen table. Then some quiet playing in the playroom and a solid nap from Tristan on Friday allowed me to sew all those pieces together. With twelve beautiful squares I find myself asking, now what?

Current Layout Plan

Should I make a twin-sized quilt or maybe two crib-sized quilts? The fabric was one of those impulse buys at a quilt show sometime last year. They were all wrapped up and I just loved them so I bought a pack of half-yards. The thing is that while I do love pink and brown it does not go anywhere in my house. Right now I’m leaning towards the crib quilts — especially since Michael Miller makes matching flannels. What do you think?

About these ads

11 Responses to “Quilt Along, Quilt Behind”

1. 1 Anina February 25, 2008 at 11:10 am

Yes, I think crib quilts. Although I think the blocks only make one crib quilt unless you want to add a lot of sashing.
    For the record, my quilt top isn’t done, so I’m quilting behind right now too… :-)

2. 2 Make and Takes February 25, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Oh I am even further “behind”. I am also determined to do this quilt along, but I am just now picking my fabric colors. I am glad I waited because it is so fun to see the same quilt but with different colors. It looks just as beautiful but totally different. I can’t wait to see yours completed.

3. 3 Thimbleanna February 25, 2008 at 4:40 pm

I think either choice would be great — I just love your fabric choices!

4. 4 amandajean February 25, 2008 at 7:06 pm

well, half or more of the quilts that I make (to keep) don’t match my house…(I don’t have a single pink room)…but I keep them anyway. :)

thanks for quilting behind. your blocks are gorgeous. I think it would make a nice throw size to keep….and use it in your home, even if it doesn’t match.

5. 5 Liz February 25, 2008 at 8:54 pm

I know I am not in your group, so I hope it is OK that I posted… I agree – go with the crib quilts – especially if you wouldn’t use the pink and brown in your house. It would make a great throw to get out in February… I can’t wait to see it / them finished.

6. 6 blair February 26, 2008 at 11:29 am

I am so glad to hear that your quilt alongers are behind the way I am on eight by eight. I think I’m perpetually behind in my life right now. Hoping to catch up soon. Those quilt squares turned out beautifully!!!

7. 7 erin February 26, 2008 at 7:28 pm

i say make it a throw. it does look great!

8. 8 Sonya February 27, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Beautiful indeed! You’ve been so productive. We’ve had a two-week run of sickness here, but it involved Mr. Knitsonya as well and so the household fell into a state of generalized disarray that I am still working my way out of. I think one big quilt, the interplay between all the squares and patterns is just so lovely.

9. 9 Berlinswhimsy March 2, 2008 at 8:31 pm

I love that color combo!

1. 1 Does anybody…. « mama urchin Trackback on March 11, 2008 at 12:24 pm
  2. 2 Retreat – Emphasis on the Treat « mama urchin Trackback on November 15, 2011 at 9:27 pm
Comments are currently closed.

flickr photos