Made From Scratch :: Pizza

Wednesday night is pizza night at our house. We have activities at church on Wednesdays so we need a reliable dinner, one that the kids will eat without a fight, so pizza it is. I’ve talked about pizza before, what can I say we like it.

Pizza

Pizza from this recipe

• 18 oz flour
  • 1.5 t salt
  • 2.25 t yeast (1 package)
  • 1.5 c warm water
  • 2 T olive oil

Bloom the yeast in the warm water for about 10 minutes.
In the meantime put the flour and salt in your food processor with the metal blade and give it a whirl or two.
While the machine is running slowly pour in the water/yeast.
The dough should come together pretty quickly, in a minute or so.
Stop the food processor and pour the olive oil in all at once. Process just until the oil is combined.
Turn out the dough and all the little bits onto a floured surface.

Pizza

Knead the dough by hand working in more flour until you have a nice smooth ball of dough. At this point we divide ours into four mini balls of dough.

Pizza

Let them rest on a floured surface with a towel over them for about an hour.
Turn your oven on to 500′ F with a bread stone or tiles inside.

Pizza

After an hour or so pick up the dough and shape it into a pizza shape. I have the most success doing this by stretching the dough over my hand.
Top with your favorite sauce, cheese, and toppings and bake on the stone for about 8-10 minutes.

Pizza

The best part about splitting the dough into four mini pizzas is that we can each top our pizza the way we want. Tristan does cheese only, Katie prefers sauce, cheese and sausage or pepperoni, Papa likes meat and cheese, I often use pesto instead of sauce and I like sun-dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers with cheese. Tonight though we all had just cheese with a side of tamiflu. Our over-acheiver tested positive for both strep throat and the flu this afternoon. Apparently she was exposed to a rogue strain of the flu that is not prevented by the vaccinations we all got earlier this winter. Spring, you’re coming soon, right?

Purchased Large Cheese Pizza* = $10.99
Homemade Personal Pizzas**= $5.43 ($1.36 per individual pizza)

(*from Domino’s pizza,** $1.56 for 18 oz Organic All Purpose Flour) $0.06 Instant Yeast, $0.25 for the oil and salt, $0.77 for half a jar/can of pizza sauce, $2.79 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese)

About these ads

12 Responses to “Made From Scratch :: Pizza”

1. 1 add games to myspace page February 20, 2008 at 11:38 pm

i had no idea that pizza was that simple to make. i’ll have to try this recipe out.

2. 2 amandajean February 21, 2008 at 12:58 am

I think I would choose your pizza toppings! that sounds wonderful.

3. 3 amber February 21, 2008 at 3:19 am

I love the posts you’re doing this week–the recipes, price comparisons, everything! Thanks for the generous info and the make-from-scratch encouragement.

Hope your girl feels better soon.

4. 4 sarah February 21, 2008 at 6:59 am

I like your “Made from Scratch” idea. What’s your favorite pizza sauce? I haven’t found one I like–is yours from scratch as well?

5. 5 aliciaalferman February 21, 2008 at 10:12 am

You’re making me really hungry this week. We make the same things so far!

I hope everyone else stays well and Miss K feels better. :(

6. 6 inga February 21, 2008 at 4:04 pm

wow, thanks for the recipe, i guess it’s time for me to try out my X-mas present – brand new food processor from my in-laws)) hope little one will get well soon))

7. 7 Anina February 21, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Yum! My bread machine makes some mean pizza dough. One more reason to whip it out.

8. 8 Grace February 21, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I love Made from Scratch week! My husband and I were just saying the other day how we need a pizza (crust) recipe. So thank you!!!

(Of course, I eat my pizza cheese-free. :))

9. 9 erin February 22, 2008 at 1:43 pm

do you ever freeze the dough? that is what i need….a stash of dough on hand.

10. 10 sheree February 28, 2008 at 4:55 am

Oh, I love your made from scratch recipes. I’ll have to try them all.

11. 11 christine in pdx March 8, 2008 at 10:39 pm

thanks for a great recipe -we made this tonight and it makes a wonderful dough. I often end up buying a pizza just because I HATE rolling out the dough. But THIS dough was so easy to work with and tasted delicious too. We’ll be making this again – it gets eight thumbs up from our family!

1. 1 One Local Summer – Week 9 « mama urchin Trackback on August 3, 2009 at 9:27 am
Comments are currently closed.

flickr photos