He Loves Trains

My little guy loves trains — see him there in the bottom right of the photo? — so his second birthday party is going to be train themed. I want to stay away from a Thomas the Train themed party but I’m having trouble figuring out how to entertain a handful of two-year-olds and their older siblings (four and five year olds) in a train-y way. I’m planning on engineer hats for all of them and maybe making some kind of frame thing with them and then taking a quick photo (in the hats) and putting it in the frame — reminiscent of the wanted posters at last year’s party. Maybe a wooden train whistle for the goody bags? We have a train pan for the cake. So what other train food should we serve? And what kind of train activities should we do? What about ideas for goody bag stuff and decorations? Help my crafty friends!

About these ads

6 Responses to “He Loves Trains”

1. 1 Jennifer October 30, 2007 at 6:10 pm

How about “box”car lunches? I know you can get train whistles through Oriental trading.com and sticker books from Doverpublications.com.

2. 2 Sue October 30, 2007 at 7:59 pm

Ooh perhaps you could make a cardboard box train for them to pretend to ride around in the backgarden. You could even print up a little train timetable with different activities scheduled for them too.

3. 3 twiddletails October 31, 2007 at 10:38 am

Fun! I Googled “train party ideas” and found quite a few ideas, like sticking black duct tape down on the carpet to make tracks from the front door to the party room.

4. 4 amandajean October 31, 2007 at 11:30 pm

no ideas yet! I love Anina’s idea of the train tracks. that would be great.

5. 5 Angela November 3, 2007 at 6:17 pm

You could get some large boxes from an applicance store and make your own train. Several together tied with rope or chain in the front and back. Call it the Birthday Express. I did one for my preschool Sunday School class once and they loved it! One side has a doorway cut out and I placed bricks in all four corners of each box for stability. It was suggested later I should have used a small piece of dry ice in the engine room (box with no door but hole cut out at top for steam. Would have been a cool effect. Will look forward to the pictures from your party. I know it will be clever whatever you do.

1. 1 Happy Halloween! « mama urchin Trackback on October 31, 2007 at 8:53 pm
Comments are currently closed.

flickr photos